[obol] Marion Co Pacific Golden-Plover, and lots of other shorebirds 6/28

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 12:40:33 -0700

This morning around 0830 I saw a PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER in full breeding
plumage, a ringer for the one in Sibley's Western Guide page 143 and quite
probably the one Glen Lindeman reported from the same area 3 days ago.  I
scoped it from one of the gates along Duckflat Road, between Turner and Marion
in Marion County.  I stayed around for an hour and refound it a few times, at
the north end of the largest impoundment (the one with the most water).  I did
not enter the property, but scoped from various places along Duckflat.
I am baffled.  This is still June, but from Duckflat Road it looks like fall
shorebird migration is in full swing already, and this seems real early:GREATER
YELLOWLEGS 43LESSER YELLOWLEGS 1Wilson's Phalarope 8Spotted Sandpiper 1Killdeer
15Black-necked Stilt 1PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER 1SEMIPALMATED PLOVER 2WESTERN
SANDPIPER 35LEAST SANDPIPER 5
i went over to Ankeny NWR from there, and saw no migrating shorebirds.
Roy Gerig, Salem OR