[obol] Malheur Field Station update

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 09:11:59 -0700

From time to time OBOL may be used for unique flag-waving related to the
Oregon birding community.  Because the Malheur Field Station is at the
pulsing heart of many birders' Harney County birding each year, I'm taking
the liberty of posting this detailed notice about the Big Sit.

This year the Field Station has been able to add some office and maintenance
staff to deal with our backlogs.  We need to raise some additional swag to
make sure we can maintain this necessary level of service.

We do this with a pledge drive called the Big Sit.  On Sunday of Memorial
Day Weekend, staff sits on top of the east house, which has a viewing
platform.  All day long they scan faraway bushes, ponds, trees and sky for
birds.  Last year they found an amazing 75 species.

Last year I pledged $1 a bird.  This year I am pledging $5 a bird for our
special needs.  Care to match?

Help any way you can. Let's help modernize the station we all love.

For full details see the MFS web site at:
http://www.malheurfieldstation.com/

And of course, come stay with us ! We're open to the public March-October
for lodging and, for groups, food service is available.

--
Alan Contreras, President, Great Basin Society (Malheur Field Station)
Eugene, Oregon

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

I blog at:  oregonreview.blogspot.com

Call the Field Station at (541) 493-2629 with your pledge amount and credit
card information.Of course, if you like certainty, you can always pledge a
set amount by credit card or check.

When?  Sunday, May 26, 2013.Pre-dawn to nightfallWhat?  A fun and
challenging "Fund-raining" Birding EventWhere?  On a 12' x 8' rooftop deck
of the East House at the Malheur Field StationHow?  Spotting and identifying
all the birds seen or heard from this rooftop perchWhy?  A challenging feat
for a Great Cause- to help Sustain Our Staff

SponsorshipSponsorship is simple.  Call us with your donation pledge and we
will do the rest. Your total contribution will equal the number of species
seen multiplied by your pledged amount per species (e.g., $1/species x 75
species = $75).Guideline:  Our best estimate of possible sightings is around
75.  For more data on previous year's totals (72 in 2011 and 75 in 2012)
view the additional summaries (pdf) posted on the website.  However, more of
fewer species are possible, as this event is weather dependent!
Bonus Artwork!As an additional thank you to all MFS 'Big-Sit" Birding Event
sponsors who pledge $1/species, you will be entered (on ticket/per $1
pledge) into a drawing for a donated original landscape painting by station
Co-director, Lyla Messick (image and description will appear on the website
soon).  The drawing for this Malheur inspired painting will take place at
our MFS membership meeting this September.If you wish to increase your
chances of winning the painting, simply pledge a higher amount to increase
the number of one-dollar tickets you have in the drawing (e.g., $4/species =
4 tickets).

--
Alan Contreras