[obol] Malheur, Dipper, Hines Surf Scoter

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 22:24:39 -0800

David Smith and I did a jaunt over to the refuge today to see what we could find. Answer, not too much but a nice cooperative American Dipper near the bridge near Page Springs, as was mentioned last week by Rick Vetter. We checked the Teasels and alder catkins in the area but they were unoccupied, perhaps partially due to a Cooper's Hawk busily hunting in the area. No Siskins much less Redpolls. A bit of water remains at Benson, only geese and pheasants there. ONE sparrow today, and it got away without ID.

Good to know, that the Nature Store at HQ is open M to F, Tim Blount is there, and keeping feeders against the rock wall filled. He is also keeping a bird list of area sightings. Current list is inside on the wall at the HQ store. We saw Siskins at those feeders today. Wintering raptors are coming in but otherwise we didn't find real winter birds there yet. We did find a Surf Scoter on WW ponds in Hines, as reported on Tim's board from over a week ago. Good birding, judy, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx