[obol] Lotsa Hummers- Coos Bay 3/4/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 04:39:48 -0800

The peak of the Rufous migration varies from year to year on the south
coast but mid-March is probably a good average.  We are getting close for
sure, just before dark last night we had up to 12 hummers, mostly Rufous,
waiting to use, or feeding at, the one feeder near our kitchen window which
seems to be most of our hummers favorite feeder these days.  It has been
almost empty in the afternoon when I get home lately also.  We have three
other feeders up with just a few at each of those, so they don't need
re-filling daily yet.  During the peak some years, they empty two or three
of our feeders every day, we'll see how busy it gets in the next couple of
weeks.

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay