[obol] Loggerhead / Northern

  • From: Pam Otley <pamo1954@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 23:48:02 -0700

Linda and all,

I've now added some pics to my Flickr photostream of a Norther Shrike that
was seen around the Corvallis Airport for several months this winter.

https://flic.kr/p/rNnUkZ

Looking at these and other photos of the two species, the bird at Basket
Slough appears to have a broader mask that completely surrounds the eye as
opposed to the narrower one of the Northern Shrike. The Northern Shrike
bill looks longer to me than the Basket Slough bird but perhaps there are
variations with different individuals? I am certainly not an expert in this
and would look forward to hearing others opinions of the Basket Slough bird
in my photos.

Pam Otley