[obol] Linn Today

  • From: BILL ROSIE <watice@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 08:37:28 +0000

Wednesday
October 7. Much of the day I spent with the Raptor Runner himself,
Jeff Fleischer birding, Linn County. First stop was the gravel lake
along Eicher Rd where there was 1 Western Grebe, 2 Eared Grebes and 1
Canvasback plus plenty of Mallards, Coots, and less numbers of Ruddy
Ducks, PB Grebe, Pintails, Ring-necked Ducks, and Wigeon. We next
did one of his raptor routes and Jeff noted it was looking like there
were good numbers of raptors around, most notable of which was a dark
phase Rough-legged Hawk. We only saw one TV much later in the day.
We also encoutned a large flock of pipits, maybe 250-300 birds along
the way. Could not find any longspurs among them.

We
next headed over to Brownsville and went south to Gap and Belts Rds,
but did not encounter much, but did find that a certain cedar tree
near the rice fields had been cut down, and so a great raptor perch
was lost. I was hoping for a turkey along Gap Rd as I needed such
for Linn Co but we dipped.

think we then headed for Foster Lake which was quite loaded with
water birds: 2 Common Loons, 1 Snow Goose, 2 Horned Grebes, 1 Eared
Grebe, 1 Cackler Goose, maybe 25 Western Grebe along with plenty of
Canade Geese, Coots, Mallards, Wigeon, Pintails, Mergansers, Ruddy
Ducks, Ring-necked Ducks, a few Lesser Scaup and GWF Geese. Am
probably forgeting something.

Next
went to Chedle (sp?) Lake in Lebanon where there was one LB Dowitcher
along with the common ducks. Then on to the Talking Water Gardens in
Albany, where I had never been before. These are likely well worth a
visit if you have not been there before. We saw 4 Green Herons, many
Wigeon and Mallards, 2 each of Snipe and LB Dowitchers, and 2
Cinnamon Teal – males.

It was getting late for
certain birds I needed to add to my Linn County list, which is
getting close to 200, but did add 3 species (Snow Goose, Cinn Teal
and Horned Grebe). In a certain discussion we had Jeff said he had
seen Long-tailed Duck in Linn Co at Big Cliff Reservoir. I responded
that I thought that was Marion County, to which he said the county
line runs through it. That made me wonder about Detroit Lake and
county boundaries, but it appears most of that lake is in Marion
County. But when you are at Detroit Flats the far side across the
lake (when there is water there!) is Linn County. I bring this up
because way back in April of '88 Roy Gerig and I saw a Bonaparte's
Gull way out there which I now realize was first seen in Linn County,
so a 4th bird got added to my Linn list. Guess my memory
works well when there is film therein..............

Am
sure I missed a few places we drove to today, but did gather some
info for next spring which may help me reach the 200 mark then.

Bill Tice: Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and avoiding chores.