[obol] Lincoln and Lane County coastal report

  • From: "Tim Janzen" <tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'OBOL Oregon Birders Online'" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 23:03:16 -0700

I birded coastal areas in Lincoln and Lane County today between Newport and
Florence. The number of HEERMANN'S GULLS seemed impressive with about 95 at
Governor Patterson Memorial State Recreation Site and another 79 at Tokatee
Klootchman State Natural Site. I also had two MEW GULLS in the large gull
flock at Governor Patterson Memorial State Recreation Site. I saw 3 SOOTY
SHEARWATERS and one PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER at Governor Patterson and I saw
about 5 SOOTY SHEARWATERS and one PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER at Tokatee
Klootchman State Natural Site. While I was at Tokatee Klootchman, Sylvia
Maulding saw a small black and white shearwater that was presumably a
BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER, but I wasn't able to get on that bird. MerryLynn
Denny saw a small black and white shearwater that was presumably a
BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER at Cape Perpetua, but Mike Denny and I weren't able
to get on that bird either. I heard that Maitreya saw a BLACK-VENTED
SHEARWATER off Yachats early this morning. The COMMON GROUND-DOVE was seen
by multiple birders in Yachats today. I saw one of the MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES
that has been in Yachats recently in the pines just east of the Yachats
Presbyterian Church. Don Sutherland showed me photos he took today of the
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW that has been in Yachats recently. I saw 6 male BLACK
SCOTERS in the surf just off Yachats this morning. I saw a large flock of
over 200 DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS heading south off Yachats this morning.
There continues to be a moderate movement of SURF SCOTERS heading south. I
saw 3 WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS at Yachats and another at Tokatee Klootchman.
There was a light movement of BROWN PELICANS heading south late this
afternoon at Tokatee Klootchman.

Sincerely,

Tim Janzen