[obol] Lincoln County surprise

  • From: Darrel Faxon <5hats@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 14:01:54 -0700

    At 12:50 this afternoon I was near the end of my driveway when a
mid-sized woodpecker flew from the north and landed about 80 feet up in a
large fir.  Upon landing it uttered a quick, flat, "heh-heh".  I
immediately recognized the call as being distinct from that of a Hairy
Woodpecker.  However, the bird was out of sight in the tree.  After about
thirty seconds it flew out of the tree heading southeast, crossed an open
space of about three hundred yards and landed high up in another isolated
fir .It appeared dark, but was above me against the sky, so I determined no
specific field marks.  However, shortly after I listened to the calls of
some woodpeckers on the Cornell site .starting with Black-backed.  Nope.
Three-toed.  Nope.  Williamson's Sapsucker.  Nope.  White-headed  A perfect
match.  Size was right, as was general darkness.  Oddly enough, it was the
second time I have seen the species in the county.  Some years back I
observed one fly across the road in front of me while I was en route
between Newport and Toledo.  That one was at eye level.  I saw the all dark
upperparts, including rump, and the white patches in he primaries,
distinctive for the species.  There are, to my knowledge, two other records
of the species in Lincoln County.  Oddly enough, this was the first which
did not occur on the 22nd of a month.

Darrel