[obol] Lincoln City CBC - Preliminary report

  • From: "dawn v" <d_villa@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:52:16 -0500

The new Lincoln City CBC (the first Audubon Society of Lincoln City-sponsored
CBC) was conducted yesterday under misty, foggy skies. Fog affected visibility
for our seawatch (see Phil's report) and a haze hung over Devil's Lake all day,
making it difficult to ID the many waterfowl. Aside from that, the weather was
good for a CBC!

We had 23 volunteers on six teams in the field, and 7 feeder counters. Our
farthest traveller came over from Eugene. Several folks came up from Toledo and
Newport to help us out. A number of us were in the final throes of this
terrible cough that's been going around town - I really appreciate all of the
tremendous effort we had.

Initial tally (pending feeder count reports) was 107 species.

Bird of the day had to be a NORTHERN GOSHAWK seen by the Siletz River team of
Dawn Harris, Ram Papish, Janet Lamberson and Chuck Philo. The Siletz Bay team
(Dick Demarest, Wayne Hoffman and Michael McMann) had a LONG-TAILED DUCK among
other goodies. The Cascade Head/Salmon River team (Jack Hurt, Jack Doyle, Ernie
Rose and Jody Picconi) had our only BARN OWL and the Siletz River team added a
GREAT HORNED OWL and two PYGMY OWLS. Two EURASIAN WIGEON were spotted at the
Water Treatment Plant by the Drift/Schooner Creek team (dawn and Desi
Villaescusa, Dave Stone). The Devil's Lake team (Deb Holland, Patty & Rick
Sorensen, Rick Mark) battled fog all day to add to our total, including both
GREATER and LESSER SCAUP. The Road's End/NW City team (Mark Elliott, Caren &
Tom Willoughby, Laura Doyle) covered the area west of the highway from Taft all
the way to Road's End - I walked off last night without picking up their report
so I have to rely on one of them to relay their highlights!

Misses included RED CROSSBILLS and PINE SISKINS (don't know where they are, but
not here this winter!). The Black Phoebe seen last week on North Bank Rd failed
to make an appearance (we'll try again to see if we can get him for count
week). Also making a poor showing were shorebirds of all kinds!

Still under the weather myself, I was in bed by 7pm last night - and I totally
missed the beautiful BARN OWL who flew across the road in front of one of the
teams as they were driving away from our fabulous Chili Feed!

Thanks again to all our volunteers, including the cooks! If I missed anything,
let me know!

(For those who wondered - the Lincoln City CBC is a slightly different circle
than the one that was held for two years in the early 1990's)

dawn v
Lincoln City/Nelscott
dvillabirds.blogspot.com
www.tillamookbirder.com
"Destiny, I feel... is a play between divine grace and willfull self-effort"
(Gilbert)