[obol] Lincoln Blue Grosbeak

  • From: "5hats@xxxxxxxx" <5hats@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 05:33:52 +0000

Sent from Windows Mail

Obolites

     My suspicion that Salishan Spit on the west side of Siletz Bay might be a
good place to look for vagrants got a boost today with the sighting of a Blue
Grosbeak there.  It was either a first summer or female plumaged bird, about
the size of a Swainson’s Thrush but bulkier.  It had a conical bill, was  warm
brown on the upperparts, slightly darker on the somewhat notched tail, a bit
lighter brown underparts, with a hint of a cinnamon wingbar on the median
coverts.  I first saw it when it flew across the road in front of me.  It then
landed in the top of a twenty foot spruce tree where I was able to observe it
for about a full minute before it flew off to the south.

     I don’t think there would be much point in anyone chasing this bird, as it
disappeared into thick woods in a residential area in a gated community.

     I think this is the third sighting of Blue Grosbeak in Lincoln County in
the past three years.  Just last year, if I recall, one was sighted just across
the bay at Cutler City.

Darrel & Laura