[obol] Late Downy nest? (Tillamook Rain River, 8-5-2013)

  • From: "dawn v" <d_villa@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 10:28:49 -0400

Arrived at the wetlands while the trail was being mowed - gazillions (official
count :o) of Robins and Starlings enjoying the fruits of the fresh cut, along
with several Swainson's Thrush and flycatchers (counted 2 PACIFIC-SLOPE and a
WILLOW FLYCATCHER, may have been more individuals as they were fairly active in
the brush along the path's edge). Two adult BLACK PHOEBEs with a juvenile at
the first ponds - I think they were feeding the juv.

Walking in I saw a male DOWNY WOODPECKER, then coming back I heard then saw the
female. She was excavating a hole in a small tree. Watched her for several
minutes, got a couple of pix (shooting from sun into shade so not great but can
tell what they are) -- she was very clearly excavating a new hole. Do they nest
this late?
http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/villaesc/media/Birds/IMG_3091_1_zpsb6e48a7e.jpg.html

http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/villaesc/media/Birds/IMG_3099_1_zps363645ae.jpg.html

I didn't continue my walk very far - the guy was still operating the brush
cutter and my allergies were not happy :o) Another day...

dawn v
Lincoln City/Nelscott
Blogging About the Coast
dvillabirds.blogspot.com
Sometimes things come when you stop looking