[obol] Re: Lark Sparrow at private residence near Seaside: Clatsop today

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidcbaileyoregon@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 11:37:53 -0700

On May 3, 2014, at 11:25 AM, David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> FYI to those following the spring migration. Word came this morning of a
> second-year plumage LARK SPARROW coming to seed spilled on the ground under
> feeders at a private residence about 5 miles up the Necanicum River Valley
> out of Seaside. The bird just showed up this morning and I have seen photos
> that confirm the identification.
>
> It seem that this species strays to the Coastal slope and plain in Oregon
> more often in Spring than in Fall migration--does that seem right? I have
> seen one in spring in Tillamook years ago with Roy Gerig and one in Seaside
> in Spring about five years ago.
>
> Have fun out checking your local patches and balds.
>
> David
>
> David C. Bailey
> Seaside, Oregon

I have seen Lark Sparrows 3 times on the northern Oregon or southern Washington
coasts.  One was in May when Tom Crabtree and I saw one on the lawn outside the
restaurant of the old Tolvana Inn as we ate their unusually good chowder.  One
was a September bird at Nehalem Meadows, and one was a September bird at the
North Jetty of the Columbia River.

Jeff Gilligan