[obol] LarchMountain, Mult Co

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 06:22:56 -0700

   The gate is still closed, not a speck of snow to be found. It's nice having
four miles of carfree trail throught the Abies amabilis zone (the plant
community on top of Larch Mountain as defined by Dyrness and Franklin). My son
and I heard as many as five blue hooters, the first at mp 11, a full mile
beyond the gate, the last one at the summit. It was still hooting at 8:45pm.
Multiple Varied Thrushes and Hermit Thrushes also engaged in vernal vespers.
WIldflowers beginning to bloom, which makes it a compelling trip for
non-birding companions. Species we had here in the lowlands two months
ago-Smith's fairy bells, lilly-of-the-valley, trilliums. After the final turn
(Oneonta trailhead) there were avalanche lillies.
    Several signs at the gate said"No wheeled vehicles past this point". Does
that mean snomobiles are copasetic but unicycles and cheese trollies are
verboten? I found the grade perfectly comfortable for my middle-aged body and
forty year old velocipede. Never had to get off and walk. After frequent stops
for birds and botany it was easy to resume upward motion.  Lars
     Surely more than one reader of this list had Prof. Long at OSU's dept of
Fisheries and Wildlife. He called Sooty Grouse "blue hooters" to my shocked and
disdainful ten-year-old sensibilities. It's a wet morning today. That will
augment the chances one of them is out on the road. These gallinaceous birds
have poor waterproofing.