[obol] Lane and Douglas Co. BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER sightings, Oct. 8 & 9

  • From: "Diane Pettey" <surfbird@xxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 17:06:21 -0700

Apologies for not getting this out to OBOL sooner.

I had a surprisingly good view of a Black-vented Shearwater yesterday morning during a seawatch at the N. Jetty, Siuslaw River, Lane Co. Total shearwater count for the area (in 1.5 hours) was about 300. Most were Sooties, with a few white-bellied shears well offshore - too far away to positively identify. The Black-vented was seen within the first ten minutes of viewing.

I have seen Black-venteds in California but while I was able to shoot pictures there, I couldn't get my camera out fast enough to capture yesterday's bird.

This morning, I also was able to spot one offshore of the Umpqua River, Gold Beach. Total shearwater count (in about 1.5 hours) this morning was six. One Black-vented, one unidentified (too far out) and four Sooties.

If you want to see Elegant Terns, Gold Beach is the place to be. I had nearly 300!

Windy, but no rain until I started the drive home.

Great birding,
Diane Pettey
Heceta Beach, OR