[obol] Lane County Seawatch

  • From: "Tim Janzen" <tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'OBOL'" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 22:36:03 -0700

After seeing the COMMON GROUND-DOVE in Yachats this morning I spent about 5
hours doing a seawatch from the Tokatee Klootchman State Natural Site in
Lane County from about 10:30 am to about 3:15 pm. Lars Skalnes was with me
for much of that time. There was a fairly steady movement of southbound
SURF SCOTERS and BROWN PELICANS. I would estimate that we saw at least 1500
SURF SCOTERS and about 500 BROWN PELICANS. About 12:30 pm I picked up a
small shearwater about 1/4 mile or so out. It flew north low over the water
and I was able to observe it for at least a minute or longer. The bird
didn't bank much which made it difficult to see the underwings all that
well. It appeared to be pale below and dark brown above. What I saw was
consistent with BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER, but I would have preferred to have
seen the bird at a closer distance. There was a light southbound loon
movement in the late morning. I also saw 2 MARBLED MURRLETS and a
southbound flock of about 40 WHIMBRELS.

Sincerely,

Tim Janzen