[obol] Lane Coast birds Monday Aug. 26th

  • From: Holly Reinhard <holly.reinhard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:49:44 -0500

Obol,

Alan Contreras and I had a very enjoyable day birding Florence and
surrounding areas today while I am visiting Oregon from Texas. Species
numbers were not extraordinary, but it was fun to hit the beginning of
migration with great company. Highlights:

Dog Pond, South Jetty:
- 1 Am. Bittern
- 1 gorgeous, bright juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper with some Least SPs

Crab Docks, S. Jetty:
- 1 breeding-plumaged BB Plover
- 18 Semi-Palmated Plovers
- 20 Western SPs
- 5 Least SPs

S. Jetty Mudflats:
- 75 N. Pintail (flyovers)

Bob Creek Wayside:
- 5 Red-necked Grebe

South Jetty Area:
- 4 Wandering Tattlers

Klootchman SP overlook:
- 1500 Surf Scoters, and then more rafts of them the next 5 miles south.
Largest raft was 1500 though, and we scoped them pretty carefully in hopes
of finding an Eider or Long-tailed Duck, but to no avail. Very neat to see
such a huge slick of birds!

We dipped on Am. Dipper and Rhino Auklet, despite checking multiple
locations for both.

We also briefly ran into Paul Sullivan and Carol Karlen at the South Jetty
in the afternoon, which was nice.

Alan can add anything I forgot. Full reports are on eBird.

Good birding,

Holly Reinhard
Laredo, TX (currently Eugene, OR on vacation)