[obol] Lane Coast Sightings Oct. 15, 2015

  • From: "Diane Pettey" <surfbird@xxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 18:51:03 -0700

Today, I birded with Mike Golden of Redmond. A seawatch at N. Jetty, Florence gave us incredible views of a POMARINE JAEGER harassing a gull. It was quite a spectacle. Also, staggering numbers of Surf Scoters, north and southbound. Loon migration was picking up mid-morning. Only one shearwater, Sooty.

Baker Marsh had several squawking Virginia Rails and two RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS.

Big Creek Road's Tropical Kingbird was long-gone. Pishing farther east produced a decent Chestnut-sided Chickadee with several Ruby-crowned and a single Golden-crowned Kinglet.

While the road construction traffic (from just north of Baker Marsh Road extending past Heceta Head) was slow-going, that stretch of 101 is terrific now.

At home, I missed quite a sight. Spousal unit Mike watched two Ruby-crowned Kinglets, dualing on the suet tree. He said their blazing red crowns were spectacular!

good birding,
Diane Pettey
Heceta Beach, OR