[obol] Lane Coast Sightings AM & PM

  • From: "Diane Pettey" <surfbird@xxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:26:57 -0700

Hi OBOLers,
This morning, husband Mike and I birded the "Dog Pond" of S. Jetty Road, Florence. Highlights: PECTORAL SANDPIPER, four WILSON'S SNIPE, LEAST and WESTERN SANDPIPERS, two GREAT EGRETS. We also enjoyed at least four VAUX' SWIFTS and numerous swallows (Barn, Cliff, Violet-green) and bugging and drinking on the wing. A GREATER YELLOWLEGS caught a blue-colored tiny fish and spent several minutes maneuvering and "tenderizing" it before finally swallowing it.

This evening (about 715-730), we birded the N. Jetty of the Siuslaw River. We did a river and seawatch and found three northbound ELEGANT TERNS, several PIGEON GUILLEMOTS, audio juvenile COMMON MURRES (at river mouth somewhere) and a flock of 14 WHIMBREL and seven MARBLED GODWITS. I also found a pair of LONG-BILLED CURLEWS.

regards,
Diane Pettey
Heceta Beach, OR
surfbird@xxxxx