[obol] Lane Coast Sightings 5 May 2013

  • From: "Diane Pettey" <surfbird@xxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 11:25:18 -0700

This morning from 830-1030, Mike and I birded Baker Marsh.

Highlights:
OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER - 3
WILLOW FLYCATCHER - 1
CASSIN'S VIREO - 1
WARBLING VIREO - 2
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER - 8
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER - 1 nonbreeding plumage
MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER - 2
COMMON YELLOWTHROAT - 3
WILSON'S WARBLER - 15+
WESTERN TANAGER  - 1
BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK - 2

Of interest were several Virginia Rails, one was on a horizontal branch about a foot above the top of the marsh sedges/grasses. It then flew down, chattering. I observed this behavior again. The chittering/chattering calls were curious.

A Savannah Sparrow was seen in dead sticks at the edge of the marsh. It threw us for a moment.

The resident Ospreys appear to be tending the nest again although no young were observed.

regards,
Diane Pettey
Heceta Beach, OR
surfbird@xxxxx