[obol] Lane Coast

  • From: "John Sullivan" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Oropendolas" for DMARC)
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 18:27:17 -0700

Hello All,

Barry McKenzie, Joshua Little and I were on the dunes overlooking the mouth of
the Siltcoos at first light this morning. A steady stream of SOOTY SHEARWATERS
were heading south just beyond the breakers for the first 1-1/2 hrs. As the
south wind picked up, so did the PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER numbers. We counted
about 40, mostly southbound between 7:30 and 9:00AM. By 9:00 it was getting
pretty windy and the birds had moved further offshore, but before we gave up
the watch, a dense flock of feeding shearwaters were spotted leap-frogging
along to the south that appeared to contain a dozen or so BLACK-VENTED
SHEARWATERS. They were near the limits of our optics, but the small,
white-bellied, rapid flapping shearwaters were almost certainly this species.
Because of the distance and less than optimal viewing conditions, we reported
them as black and white shearwater species on our eBird report. 4 JAEGER sp.
and a single adult BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE were also seen from the dunes and 8
SNOWY PLOVERS on the beach below. Before it got too windy and rainy for
practical use of optics, 7 EARED GREBES were spotted between the Florence
jetties.

Good Birding,

John Sullivan
Springfield, OR