[obol] Lane Co. Raptor Route #1 - March 1, 2015

  • From: "Anne & Dan Heyerly" <tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 23:54:06 -0800

On Monday March 1, 2015 Anne Heyerly, Nate Bales, and I completed the
60-mile route in 5.5 hours. Lane #1 basically circles Fern Ridge Reservoir
and is bounded on the south by K.R. Nielsen Rd., Cantrell Rd. and Hwy. 126,
on the west by Territorial Rd. and Alvadore Rd., on the north by Franklin
Rd. and Hwy. 36, and on the east by Greenhill Rd., Fir Butte Rd., and Fisher
Rd.

Conditions were good with unlimited visibility, temps in the 50s, and a
clear sky with light wind.  The numbers are typical.

Here are the numbers:

Red-tailed Hawk - 33
American Kestrel - 20
Northern Harrier - 15
Bald Eagle - 8 (4 adult + 4 sub-adult)
Rough-legged Hawk - 1
Red-shouldered Hawk - 9
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
Turkey Vulture - 6

Once again we were skunked on White-tailed Kite. In fact, I do not think we
counted one kite on this route this winter. We heard of one near the end of
Royal Ave. a couple of months ago, but we never saw it.  There were many
Tree Swallows working the air over the East Coyote and Royal Units of the
Fern Ridge Wildlife Management Area.  We missed the Snowy Owl this time, but
it is not part of our routine to walk out to where it typically was hanging
out, however we have been able to see it from one of three vantage points
each of the last three times we have run this route (Dec. 6, 2014, Jan. 2,
2015, and Feb. 1, 2015).  The water level of Fern Ridge Reservoir were at
nearly summer sailing levels with very little muddy edge and no stump
perches where we usually find a Peregrine Falcon or two. Not today.

Good Birding,

Dan Heyerly, Eugene