[obol] Re: Lane Co Costa's vs Anna's

  • From: Richard Turk <rturk99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 08:46:53 -0800

Nancy, et al:

A few tips to improve color:

1. Shoot in raw format (or raw + JPEG.)  This will preserve more data to permit adjustment of color balance after the fact.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/raw-file-format.htm

2. As soon as possible after the quarry escapes, take a photo of a "gray card" (see below), or pure white paper, in the same location as the bird.  Make sure to orient the gray card to catch the light in a way similar to the bird.  Because the gray card has known color, your photo software can use that photo to compensate for the color of the incident light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_card

While this will not give perfect color, it can help quite a bit.  I suggest practicing a bit on flowers (or other colorful objects). Even if you're not comfortable using photo software to make adjustments, if you have raw-format photos of the bird and a gray card in the same location and light, someone else can help you make the adjustments.

The human eye (brain) is good at adjusting perception of color under varied lighting, but the camera records the actual incident light. Even worse, when creating the JPEG image from the raw data, it may attempt to compensate for incident light color and do a bad job of it (like a poorly colorized B&W film.)  By preserving the raw data, you eliminate the poor "colorization;" and, by photographing a gray card, you capture the color of the incident light so the photo software can compensate more accurately.

Richard

Msg: #10 in digest
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 00:43:34 +0000 (UTC)
From: "Nancy Clogston"<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  (Redacted sender
"nanclo1952" for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: Lane Co Costa’s Hummingbird?

hen using digital camera for the violet end of the spectrum. Additionally, I
was shooting through a window.If I get another opportunity with this bird, I
will get myself outside and listen.In the meantime I will post this bird under
hummingbird sp.
eBird Checklist - 7 Dec 2019 - Monroe St Home, Eugene, OR - 13 species (+1
other taxa)

POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol
Contact moderator: obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx