[obol] Lake County north

  • From: Darrel Faxon <5hats@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 21:30:32 -0700

In celebration of our wedding anniversary Laura and I spent Friday
afternoon-Saturday morning in and near Lost Forest east of Christmas
Valley, Lake County.  Lost Forest did not have high diversity of birds.  We
found lots of Mountain Bluebirds, a large flock (probably 100 or more) of
Pinyon Jays, heard a calling Northern Saw-whet Owl, and a calling
Ash-throated Flycatcher.  Even the nearby sagebrush seemed nearly devoid of
birds this morning.
    A few miles west, it was a different story.  The sagebrush was full of
singing Sage Thrashers.  We also saw Brewer's and Sagebrush Sparrows, a
cooperative Loggerhead Shrike which perched for some time a scant twelve
feet from the pickup, and a Burrowing Owl.
    In a non-bird note, Friday evening an hour before dark we walked about
a mile along the road in the forest.  There was a continuous clicking noise
all around which seemed to come from the juniper trees  Laura said it
sounded like castanets.  Finally she spotted the source.  All along the
tips of the juniper branches were some 1 1/2 inch long insects with heavy
bodies and transparent wings.  They were dull blackish in color.  Unless I
am mistaken, I think they were a type of cicada.  I have found cicadas
previously a couple of times at Thornton Creek in  Lincoln County, so I
know they exist in Oregon, but I knew nothing of this type.  Does anyone
else out there have knowledge of a cicada of this type in Lost Forest?

Darrel & Laura