[obol] Lake Billy Chinook Raptor Survey

  • From: "Tom Crabtree" <tc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'COBOL'" <COBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 13:58:13 -0800

I managed to sneak in the December LBC Raptor Survey between the snow of
last week and the white-out that is today's weather.  Things were definitely
better than in November with a lot more activity despite the fact that most
of the fields that have been most productive the past few years have been
plowed this year.

The totals of each species are as follows in the order that will make sense
to those doing raptor surveys, but not to anyone else:

50 Red-tailed Hawks, including one briefly seen possible Harlan's Hawk

15 American Kestrels

6  Northern Harriers

2  Bald Eagles

3  Golden Eagles

4  Rough-legged Hawks

4  Prairie Falcons

1  Merlin

1  Cooper's Hawk

1  Sharp-shinned Hawk

1  Great-horned Owl (recently hit by a passing car, dead, but still warm)

The 15 Kestrels were the third highest I've recorded on the survey; the 4
Prairie Falcons tied the high mark; this was only the 2nd Cooper's Hawk I've
had on the survey which covers mainly open agricultural fields and is
generally an Accipiter Free Zone.  The 89 total birds is the second highest
total I've had since January of 2012 and the 4th highest total ever.

Tom Crabtree, Bend