[obol] Lake Abert Shorebird Survey

  • From: Charles Gates <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 13:16:20 -0700

Yesterday, I participated in the East Cascades Audubon's shorebird survey of Lake Abert in Lake County.  I was joined by Jim and Sue Anderson.  We counted all birds (not just shorebirds) that we heard or saw.  Surveys are done from late July to September.  One of the main purposes of this survey is to monitor Wilson's Phalarope populations in the lake during migration. There were few Wilson's Phalaropes but this may be a little late in their migration.  I was surprised by the lack of peeps or other small shorebirds.  I thought we might find more than we did.  Here are the highlights of my survey.

1 leucistic duck with a trailing brood (I think it was a pintail).  Sue may have a photo.

4000 Northern Shovelers on the north end of the lake

3 Semipalmated Plover

Only 22 Killdeer

301 Black-necked Stilt

9486 American Avocet (smoke obscured our view or we would have had several thousand more)

5 Willet

8 Least Sandpipers

4201 Red-necked Phalaropes

325 Wilson's Phalaropes (I've had more than 200,000 before at this site on different dates)

9 Franklin's Gulls

2533 Ring-billed Gulls

538 California Gulls

1 Herring Gull    Pretty far away but I could see a large adult gull with flattened forehead and pinkish legs.  I didn't put this on eBird because I couldn't be 100% sure of the Id.  Something got the flock up before I could really study it and it was lost.

2 Loggerhead Shrike

1 late Yellow-headed Blackbird

--
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for
sure that just ain't so.

Chuck Gates
541-280-4957
Powell Butte,