[obol] Killdeer movements

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <deborah.holland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <elepaio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 08:49:49 -0700

My guess is that the "montane" killdeer described in previous posts have not
come up from the lowlands but from further north.  The exception would be
those birds moving generally west toward the Willamette Valley or coast for
winter that didn't quite get there.

The Willamette Valley is normally one of the major killdeer wintering areas
on the continent.  I suspect that this is a result of changes in
agricultural practices over the last fifty years.  I wonder what the
Killdeer numbers have been like over the years on a count like Corvallis or
Salem.  Eugene would not be a great test because of the addition of Fern
Ridge Reservoir and the expansion of the city into a lot of Killdeer
habitat.

--
Alan Contreras

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Eugene, Oregon

From:  "deborah.holland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <deborah.holland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Saturday, December 7, 2013 7:50 AM
To:  <deborah.holland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mark Nikas <elepaio@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc:  OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [obol] Re: Fw: Lane Coast Sightings 6 Dec 2013

I shouldn't post before I have some coffee....so the Killdeer fly out of the
valley into the mountains and the coastal areas......I wonder how many
Killdeer might be on Fall Creek Rd. today....At the end of last December
there was a large flock of Wilson's Snipe up there.  Fall Creek Rd. is off
Hwy. 34 at the east edge of Lincoln County. Deb in Newport
> deborah.holland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <deborah.holland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Perhaps the Killdeer were fleeing the Coastal Range also. I saw some in a
> field at Fall Creek Road, the day before the snowfall. Deb in Newport
>> Mark Nikas <elepaio@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I wonder if all those Killdeer were fleeing the snow buried valley fields.  I
>> had about 20 over my yard (west Eugene) in just 1 hour today. Just seeing 1
>> here is notable.
>>
>> Mark Nikas

>>> OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol
>>> <//www.freelists.org/archive/obol>