[obol] Killdeer and pipits at the beach

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 16:50:06 -0800

From: <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx <mailto:joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>>
Date: Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 15:45 PM
Subject: Killdeer and pipits at the beach
To: joel.geier@xxxxxxxx <mailto:joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>From: <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx <mailto:joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>>
Date: Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 15:45 PM
To: joel.geier@xxxxxxxx <mailto:joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>

This report was mailed for Joel Geier by http://birdnotes.net

Date: February 10, 2014
Location: San Marine, Lincoln County, Oregon

Low temperature: 40 degrees fahrenheit High temperature: 50 degrees fahrenheit
Wind direction: SW
Prevailing wind speed: 12-19 km/h gusting to: 29-38 km/h
Percentage of sky covered by clouds: 100%
Precipitation: showers/intermittent rain

Hi all,

I hate to interfere with the discussion of cranky old birders and
ebird by posting some bird observations, but ...

Sitting out here on the coast south of Waldport, it was interesting
to see birds that I've more often seen in grass fields in the
Willamette Valley. Of course a few KILLDEER and AMERICAN PIPITS can
show up along the coast, but I have to wonder if some might have
headed west over the Coast Range to Lincoln County, in response to
the lingering foot or two of snow in the mid-Willamette Valley.

Happy birding,
Joel

Birds seen (in taxonomic order):

Mallard                             2 [1]
Surf Scoter                         1 [2]
Pelagic Cormorant                   1 [3]
Killdeer                            8 [4]
Black Oystercatcher                 3 [5]
Black Turnstone                     4 [6]
Mew Gull                            5 [7]
Western Gull                       40
Glaucous-winged Gull               30
Glaucous-winged x Western Gull     20
Unidentified gull                  40
American Crow                       3
American Pipit                     11 [8]
Song Sparrow                        1
White-crowned Sparrow               1

Footnotes:

[1]  Pair flew by.
[2]  Lone bird bobbing in waves.
[3]  Flew by southbound.
[4]  On lawn of Wayside Lodge.
[5]  Flew by southbound.
[6]  Flew by southbound.
[7]  Part of gull flock resting on beach.
[8]  Foraging on lawn of Wayside Lodge, several walked right up to
     within 5 feet of me, then wandered off to take a bath in a rain
     puddle.

Total number of species seen: 15

This report was mailed for Joel Geier by http://birdnotes.net