[obol] Josephine County birds - Rock Wren,White-Headed WP, GT Grackle, etc.

  • From: Romain Cooper <romain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,RV-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 21:05:23 -0700

Hello all,

Yesterday evening (6/18/14) Christie and I headed to the high country (Illinois Valley, Josephine Co.) up Happy Camp Rd. (Forest Service Rd. 48) and onto the spur that leads to Tannin Lake (Forest Road 4812 then Spur 041).

At the Talus Slope on the south side of Althouse Mtn. (Rd. 4812-041), we found a singing Rock Wren. This has been a relatively reliable area for Rock Wren at least for a few years. Sometimes one needs to hike upslope to find one but this bird came to the road.

At a large snag patch just before Sundown Gap (same Road; 4812-041), we found 6 species of woodpecker: Red-Breasted Sapsucker; White-Headed Woodpecker (first one I've seen in Josephine Co. in a few years); Hairy WP; Downy WP; Northern Flicker (going into and out of nest cavity); and Pileated Woodpecker. The best way to view this snag forest is to go up the King's Saddle Trail (for about 1/4 mile) and you can look down to the snags. The snag forest is visible from the road however.

A variety of expected birds were seen along the road including Mtn Quail, Olive-Sided Flycatcher, Western Wood Peewee, Dusky Flycatcher, Mountain Chickadee, Townsend's Solitaire, Hermit Thrush, Green-Tailed Towhee, Thick-Billed Fox Sparrow and Purple Finch. Of the several warbler species detected, Nashville Warblers were easily the most abundant.

This morning (6/19/2014), we visited the Cave Junction oxidation ponds. Great-Tailed Grackle are still around. A male was very obvious & vocal. The female was more cautious but we observed her bringing food items into a thick clump of cattail 3 times. We strongly suspect nesting.

Other birds at the Cave Jct plant included Wood Duck and Mallard w/ young, Green Heron, (2) Pied-Billed Grebe, Black Phoebe with youngsters on nest (on side of a building).

cheers,    Romain

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road
Cave Junction, OR 97523