[obol] Jefferson County (Madras Area)

  • From: Charles Gates <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 20:33:31 -0800

Today I birded Jefferson County with Spencer Walters. The weather was pretty lousy much of the day with spitting snow and low visibility. We attempted a forest run but were turned back by weather. We then made a run to the Pelton Re-regulation Dam near Warm Springs and found very few birds (no sign of the shorebirds found there yesterday). After that we stopped into Warm Springs to try, unsuccessfully for Black-capped Chickadee. We then went to Agency Plains north of Madras. We made an attempt to visit the Madras Sewer Ponds but did not get in. We then made a quick run around the Culver area. We ended the day by going our own separate ways. I then saw a new bird never before seen by humans (Seattle Sea Hawk Superbowl Champs).

Highlights:
Red-shouldered Hawk - 2 Immatures, 1 along Clark Road on Agency Plains and 1 near the Madras Airport by the drag strip gate. Photos of the second bird are at https://app.box.com/s/40qyx6v4wykv87wi5x03
Eurasian Wigeon - Green's Feedlot south of Madras
Rock Wren - SW Jordan Road just west of the Cove State Park
Tricolored Blackbirds - about 200 birds seen at Green's Feedlot south of Madras
Golden Eagle - Green's Feedlot south of Madras
Prairie Falcon - 3 birds at various locations
Rough-legged Hawk - 5 birds at various locations
120 Double-crested Cormorants at Pelton Dam
Northern Pygmy-Owl - Warm Spring Museum Trail

--
Chuck Gates
Powell Butte,