[obol] Jackson County: Upper Table Rock, Touvelle SP, McGregor Park 5-14/15

  • From: john shewey <jshewey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 12:39:20 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

I made a trip to Southern Oregon and amassed a substantial list of species
without working too hard at it. Upper and Lower Table Rocks are outstanding
birding areas and nearby Touvelle State Park and Ken Denman WMA are also
excellent. Upper Table Rock, starting just after sunup, produced (among many
species) all three species of Towhees that breed in Oregon: I was surprised to
stumble on a single GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE to complete the Towhee Trifecta. The
CALI TOWHEE was easy--pulling into the parking lot for the Upper Table Rock
Trailhead, my freshly washed shiny black truck was promptly attacked by a Cali
Towhee who evidently saw his reflection. Other highlights included BLUE-GRAY
GNATCATCHERS, OAK TITMICE, and ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHERS. As usual, Touvelle had
lots of ACORN WOODPECKERS and also produced a hybrid SAPSUCKER, along with
LEWIS'S, DOWNY, and PILEATED WOODPECKER (among many other species). Perhaps the
biggest surprise of the trip was a single EASTERN KINGBIRD on Tresham Lane just
west of the junction of Table Rock Road. --John Shewey, www.birdingoregon.com

Trip photo gallery here: http://www.birdingoregon.com/field-notes.html
Interesting Ash-throated sequence here:
http://www.birdingoregon.com/favorite-stuff--fun-stuff.html

partial trip list (excluding many common species):
(UTR=Upper Table Rock; Tv=Touvell SP; KD=Ken Denman WMA; McG=McGregor Park
area; KC=Kriselle Cellars (good chaparral scrub)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (UTR)
California Towhee (UTR & KC)
Green-tailed Towhee (UTR)
Lazuli Bunting (UTR, McG, Tv)
Lark Sparrow (UTR)
Golden-crowned Sparrow (Tv)
Chipping Sparrow (UTR)
Lesser Goldfinch (UTC, KD)
American Goldfinch (UTR)
Purple Finch (UTR)
Bullock’s Oriole (KD)
Western Tanager (McG)
Ash-throated Flycatcher (UTR, KD)
Eastern Kingbird (near the intersection of Tresham Lane and Table Rock Road)
Olive-sided Flycatcher (UTR, McG)
Western Wood Pewee (McG, Tv)
Unidentified Empids (UTR)
Rufous Hummers (UTR, KD)