[obol] Island Creek, Plat I, Ford's Pond, Douglas County

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 23:35:48 -0700

Howdy Folks,

This morning, Aug 22, Mark Hamm, Jimmy Billstine, and I were at Island
Creek Day Use Area about 7 miles WSW of Riddle along Cow Creek, from about
0740 to 1115. Early on it was like pulling teeth to get birds out where we
could see them, but thankfully we had Mark along (he's a dentist), and
eventually some birds came out to give us good views, including multiple
WRENTIT, MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER, HUTTON'S VIREO, a YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT, a
beautifully fresh-plumaged young female BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER, and a
responding NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL. Along the creek were GREAT BLUE HERON,
BELTED KINGFISHER, and a couple AMERICAN DIPPERS. The area has a lot of
roads and trails and gravel bars to walk around on.  My complete checklist
is here:

Afterwards I went to visit a client in Sutherlin, then zipped by Plat I and
Ford's Pond for my usual 10- to 15-min scan. Migrants of note were:
6 and 60 NORTHERN PINTAIL (males still in eclipse plumage) at Plat I and
Ford's Pond respectively
A dozen or two WESTERN AND LEAST SANDPIPERS at Plat I
1 GREATER YELLOWLEGS at Plat I
2 LESSER YELLOWLEGS at Ford's Pond.

Regards,

Matt Hunter