[obol] Interesting hummer

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:01:10 -0700

This morning, I spotted a hummer at my nectar feeders that I initially
thought was a female Calliope (smaller than an Anna's, wing tip projections
longer than the tail, buff flanks), but I began to doubt that after seeing
no visible throat spotting. Later in the morning, I managed to get a couple
of halfway decent photos...

https://flic.kr/p/rZyxqQ

https://flic.kr/p/sh5Y1r

To me, this looks a lot like a recently-hatched Rufous. I would expect a
second-year female to have much heavier spotting on the throat. (In the
second photo, there appears to be the very beginning of a gorget spot.) I'm
assuming that the short tail feathers on this individual are due to its
age, and not it being a Calliope. I wouldn't think that Rufous could knock
out offspring this quickly, so I'm a little confused.

Thoughts?

Brandon
Eugene