[obol] In Search of the Black Rosy-Finch

  • From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 17:39:49 -0700

In need of a road-trip, we headed to the east rim of Steens Mountain where
Noah Strycker reported finding three Black Rosy-Finch on 19 July 2012. Not
the best use of our limited birding time - but a great excuse to get out of
town and enjoy the cool 69-degree temperature on the summit. Our only
disappointment of the trip was to find the Meat Hook restaurant in Burns
had gone out of business and was replaced by a pizza parlor.

The best sighting of the outing for us was of an adult Sagebrush Sparrow
caring for a juvenile. Both birds seemed completely unaware, or more
likely, unconcerned by my (not so) stealthy approach. I thought for sure
our first photos of this life bird was going to be grainy, out-of-focus,
shots of a mostly obscured subject. We also had an intriguing incidental
encounter with two adult and one juvenile Long-billed Curlew. We found them
in a dry grassy area, 3.2 air-miles south east of Frenchglen. I thought
sure they would flush as soon as I got out of the car for a picture - but
they held their ground. Actually, one of the adults scurried away a few
yards with the juvenile while the other adult began calling loudly and
intercepted my approach.

Steens Mountain is a glorious place that we find impossible to adequately
photograph or describe. Nevertheless we've thrown in a few panoramas we
hope you enjoy along with some images of birds we found along the way.

http://www.jack-n-jill.net/blog/2014/7/in-search-of-the-black-rosy-finch

--
Jack & Jill Williamson
West Linn, Oregon