[obol] Re: I looked at trees with sapsucker wells...

  • From: Barbara Millikan <barbara.millikan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 13:31:34 -0800

We have always seen red breasted sapsuckers on our farm in NW Polk County
and many of our fruit trees (and the mountain ash) bear abundant evidence
of them. We have both black cottonwood and big leaf maple in proximity to
the orchard.

Barbara

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

today on the Long Beach Peninsula. My walk was in an area with native
trees, including cascara and red alder. The only trees I saw with wells
were: flowering cherry, horse chestnut, and apple trees (not the small
native crabapples).

I have usually (always?) seen them in nesting season in habitats that
included either black cottonwood or big leaf maple.

Jeff Gilligan