[obol] "Hummingbird Moth"

  • From: John Thomas <johnpam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 08:17:50 -0700

Spotted a "Hummingbird Moth" trying to nectar at Honeysuckle couple days ago. A
very territorial Rufous hummingbird dive- bombed the moth several times and
drove it away. Surprising to me was the speed of the moth in evasive manuevers,
zipping 30 feet this way and then 30 feet that way and then zooming out beyond
the old outbuilding. Started to head for camera in house to take a photograph
but not enough time. That moth can really "move out !"

Still getting a few Band-tail Pigeons (5-6 or less now) at feeder area along
with Mourning Dove and EC Doves. Also several pair of California Quail. A
single ACORN WOODPECKER  came in for about two minutes a few days ago... BARN
OWLS calling in early evening. Seem to have fledged into woodlot. Black-headed
Grosbeak pairs still around....We have immature Spotted Towhees, American
Goldfinch, and BC Chickadees. It looks like Towhees still nesting as I am
getting repeatedly severely scolded from two suspect spots.

I thought a Hutton's Vireo was nesting here when confronting one a few weeks
ago but he disappeared. That would have been a new one.

John Thomas
Silverton area