[obol] Hummers early departure

  • From: Nels Nelson <nelsnelson7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 06:58:49 -0700

I just received this email from my friend (Ken) who lives near Cloverdale
on the Oregon Coast.  I promised him I'd do my best to try and come up with
an answer for him.  Any/all help from my OBOL friends would be appreciated.

Nels

Ken's e-mail reads:

My yard is full of beautiful, blooming flowers of every color, kind - and
description for my hummers (about 25 or 30) to feed on, which they do
daily, from dawn to dark, in addition to going through about two quarts of
hummingbird mix a day - which I have always made with the same combination
of sugar and boiling water, plus three drops of red dye per quart for color.

And every summer, my adult Rufous and Anna hummingbirds have headed south
during the first week of July, with the young hummers leaving the following
week, except for two or three Annas that stay here year around.
Last Wednesday, - the first week in June (not July), all the hummers - both
adults and young left, all at the same time, leaving only the two or three
Annas that stay here year around.

Why a full month earlier than usual?