[obol] Re: How to identify "X" species.... Holistic vs featural recognition

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 07:30:00 +0000

Russ and Paul et al.,
Russ's comments make a lot of sense. For many birders small calidrids (as a
group) are the avian equivalent of an unfamiliar ethnicity whose members
initially all seem to look alike. It is not de facto racism to struggle with a
group faces that are outside our baseline of contextual experiences. Many in
this community know twin brothers Adrian and Christopher Hinkle. When I first
met them I could not tell them apart despite making a concerted effort to do
so. I felt utterly foolish the first few times I ran into them because I would
have to ask who was who each time. After seeing them dozens of times I came to
be able to recognize them with ease and now I wonder how I ever struggled to
tell them apart.
Two years ago, Ann Nightingale and I co-authored an article entitled "The
Recognition vs. Identification Gap" (see link below). If you replace Russ's
"holistic" with "recognition" and his "featural recognition" with
"identification," we are essentially talking about the same thing.
http://www.birdfellow.com/journal/2011/06/20/the_recognition_vs_identification_gap
The premise of the article is that there is a significant communication gap
between experienced and inexperienced birders when it comes to discussing how
to ID a particular species or group of species. Each of us has a unique set of
contextual birding experiences that serves as the comparative starting point
when we see a bird that we don't recognize. When I try to describe how I
recognize/identify a certain bird to another birder, I end up using language
and comparisons with which I am familiar. However my context and my comparative
language may have no meaning to my audience.
Deconstructing these things and finding objective criteria that both parties
(teacher and student) can see and agree upon is a critical starting point and a
huge challenge for anyone who tries to teach others about birds. I'm at a point
where I recognize virtually every bird that I see, thus I am to some degree out
of touch with the identification process that a less experienced birder is
going through with most of the birds that they encounter. The feedback and
comments that my Western vs. Least Sandpiper ID piece has generated made me
realize that I have underestimated the challenge that this ID question still
presents for many birders. A comparison of the feedback from this article to
the absence of feedback in response to my writings about more complicated
issues, suggests that I need to write about less esoteric ID topics.
I very much enjoy doing this sort of thing and welcome any suggestions any of
you might have for future ID article topics. I have a couple in mind, but you
know better than I what you find confusing.
Dave IronsPortland, OR