[obol] Hileman Landing, Eugene

  • From: Thomas Meinzen <thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 20:01:54 -0700

I birded Hileman Landing along the Willamette River north of Eugene for the
first time this afternoon. I found it to be quite wonderful habitat, with
an extensive trail system, water, and mature trees and undergrowth. Since
I've never heard of this site before and expect it gets no coverage, I
thought I'd post what I saw in an hour there. Lots of neotrops, all paired
up. It looks like it might be a good spot to look for Red-eyed Vireo later
in spring.

Species of interest:

Band-tailed Pigeon - 1, perched in cottonwood, no conifers around so a bit
surprising
Wilson's Warbler - 5
Macgillavray's Warbler - 1 male, great views
Warbling Vireo - 4
Pacific-slope Flycatcher - 2
Western Wood-Pewee - 2
Black-headed Grosbeak - 7, singing everywhere
Bullock's Oriole - 1, male in cottonwoods
Hairy Woodpecker - female working base of cottonwood, almost on ground
Red-breasted Sapsucker - making sap well
Osprey - 4 overhead

It's always fun to explore new sites. I recommend this spot - it's off
Beacon Dr. east of River Road.
Good birding,
Thomas Meinzen
Eugene