[obol] High tech or not

  • From: Kevin Smith <kevinsmithnaturephotos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 09:47:05 -0700

Welllll-there you go again, opening up THAT can of worms (really, we use meal worms) . Yeah, I guess I would qualify as a 'techy' , but NOT a big-time one! Yes, I have a mid-range camera system (would I LIKE a high-end one? You betch'yor bippy!). But I don't e-bird (yet). I can't HEAR birds so I use a specialized hearing device built especially just to hear birds (and insects [DANG they are SO loud!]), AND bats). Do I KNOW 'traditionalists'? A few (boy can they be GRUMPS!), but they also KNOW their birds. But as pointed out in the article (in the Bulletin 5/10) if I did not take a photo (with GPS embedded in the photo) I would be accused of lying or at least stretching the truth. I have been even with a photo. "You took that photo, WHERE?!!!!"

To those in the know (and I mean REAL experts) I tip my hat (a Tilly of course). To everyone else---PROVE IT! Without a photo. With a DRAWING! A FULL and COMPLETE explanation of just WHERE you saw that bird down to the tree it was sitting in and how many feathers were missing in molt and whether it was a male or female, juvenile or adult and what year/stage it was. Ha-Ha!!

Kevin Smith
PS: Thanks for the laugh.  It started my day just right.