[obol] Hermit Thrush - this time along Siuslaw River Road.

  • From: Barbara Combs <bcombs232@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 01:07:04 -0700

I did some birding along Siuslaw River Road this evening.  A little after
8:00, I decided to head for home.  Between 43.87272, -123.43575 and the
intersection of Siuslaw River Road with Wolf Creek Road, I drove slowly
with my windows open "just in case."  Unexpectedly, I heard a Hermit Thrush
in this area.  There was no good place to stop. I was probably about 1/3 to
1/2 of the way to Wolf Creek Road from my last stop, with the above
coordinates. The thrush was a little way into the woods on the left side of
the road, where there were some fairly dense small to medium-sized trees.
This song is very familiar to me, having spent hours as a child sitting
outside in the evening and working at differentiating the songs of Hermit
Thrush, Wood Thrush, and Brown Thrasher.  What a treat to hear it in
several different locations in less than a week!

--
Barbara Combs   obie '70
Lane County, OR