[obol] Hermiston area birds

  • From: Timothy Kadlecek <timkadlecek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL2 <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 22:55:34 -0700

While working in Hermiston this week, I was able to find time to do some
birding.  Some of the highlights are Grasshopper and Lark Sparrow and
White-throated Swifts.  Bullock's Orioles, Yellow Warblers and House Wrens
seemed to be in every other tree.  There were numerous Western and several
Eastern Kingbirds as well as a few Say's Phoebes. There was also what I
initially thought was a Brewer's Blackbird, but upon review of my photos, it is
instead a Common Grackle.  Its bill is too long and down-curved for a Brewer's.
 I have a later photo of a Brewer's showing a more typical shaped bill.   I
also saw a female house finch which had light colored "horned" feathers on its
head.  I have never appreciated this before.  There were also several Barn and
Cliff Swallows collecting mud from a puddle for their nests.  I also have a
nice series of photos of a Cedar Waxwing passing a berry off to its hopeful
mate.  Below are photos of these birds and others, including a half dozen
mammals, a couple of which I think are somewhat interesting.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111350706@N08/sets/72157644952984256/

Tim Kadlecek
Portland