[obol] Re: Haystack Rock this morning

  • From: Tim <timhalloran@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 13:12:04 -0500

The eagle is at it again! Your photo shows a favorite haunt for this behavior
on the south face of Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach– I saw the same thing over a
week ago. Here’s what I saw: There were four pair of Brandt’s Cormorants
desperately looking up to the eagle, protecting their own eggs, but ready to
fly off if necessary. When the eagle finally left, the resident birds were
quick to return and look over the scene of destruction. But just the other day
I saw two pair of BRCO back on their nests, which are very close together right
where the eagle is in the photo. They were nesting again! Now it appears that
the eagle has eaten the second set of eggs. The photo doesn’t show that, of
course. I’ll check tomorrow evening to see if the BRCO are trying again at this
spot, easily found because of the pyramid-shaped arrangement of BRCO nests
leading up to the topmost nest site favored by the eagle.

Tim Halloran