[obol] Hatfield - Bohemian Waxwing and Lapland Longspur

  • From: Steve Kornfeld <sbkornfeld@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 16:33:14 -0800

Birders.

This afternoon Pete Lowe, Lou Rems and myself spent some time at Hatfield.
After about 30 minutes we did begin to hear Cedar Waxwings and then noticed in
the juniper two Bohemian along with Cedar.  We never heard the Bohemian
vocalize.  Probably about 8 Cedar.  Location as previous described - Beginning
of the inflow to the first pond.

As we walked the rim of the first pond heading back to the car, a  flying
Longspur rattled.  We flushed it again after it landed adjacent to the first
pond on the far right side as you face the pond from the entrance gate.
Excellent flight views and sound confirm Lapland.

We spent the morning working the Agency Plain north of Madras.  Along NW Boise
Dr we ran into a flock of about 500 American Pipits.  Three Yellow-rumped
warblers were hanging with the pipit flock on the tilled frozen fields.
Nothing else sounded different.

Steve Kornfeld
Bend