[obol] Harney Co. Stuff

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 06:16:27 -0700

One of the joys for me going to SE Harney County is unplugging.  No e-mails
(or checking e-mail) for an entire week for me.

Jeff G. reported our birds for Friday the 29th in Fields.  Particulaly
abundant were W. Tanagers that day with many birds in trees all over town.

On Monday the 26th, while driving up to Lily Lake in the Steens (the road
is open to Fish Lake), I saw a BROAD-WINGED HAWK.  It was sitting atop a
juniper snag and flew off to the north as I stopped to check it out giving
me nice looks at its underwings.  The aspens had just started to open their
leaves at Lily Lake and it got down to 34F.  Also that day I heard a cuckoo
call in the back of Benson.  Jeff Gilligan and Sheran Wright showed up a
few minutes later.  When I left to get my iPod they heard it call, but we
never saw anything even after playing tapes and it only called the two
times.

I hiked several canyons in the Pueblos, some more than once and only saw a
single CHUKAR the entire time, a species which is abundant most years down
yonder.

I was in Fields and vicinity for several days and only heard my first C.
NIGHTHAWK on the 30th, they sure seemed late to me this year although I
heard a few reports from around Hdqs. earlier in the week.

Tuesday and Wednesday were very windy, pretty much shutting down passerine
birding.  Cold weather followed and Burns had a record low of 26F on
Thursday morning I think it was.  Weather was pretty nice in Fields though
which is always warmer and with less mosquitoes (and more herps) with low
80s early in the week.

It was fun seeing the many birds and birders!
Merry migration,
Tim R back in Coos Bay