[obol] Re: Great crested continues

  • From: tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 04:49:20 +0000 (UTC)

I thought I would add that Rachel spotted the flycatcher about 12:30 pm or so
in a small tree just across the road from Darrell Faxon's shed just west of
Darrell's house. She isn't that familiar with Great Crested Flycatchers and so
she wasn't able to identify it at that point. I was looking into the same tree
but wasn't able to get on the bird. The bird flew from that area to the south
about 2:15 pm or so where other birders picked it up. The bottom line is that
the bird seems to move around within the small valley from Darrell's house
south to about 150 feet or so south of the 1 mile MP marker. While looking for
the flycatcher I heard a bird singing from across the valley that sounded like
a WARBLING VIREO, but the song wasn't quite right for that. I don't think I
have ever heard a Warbling Vireo sing this late in the fall. The bird sang for
about 5 minutes or so about 1 pm or so. A SWAMP SPARROW was also in the area.
The BROWN BOOBY continues to be present in Newport. Rachel and I saw it about
3:15 pm on the platform in Yaquina Bay just west of the bridge.

Sincerely,
Tim Janzen