[obol] Re: Goldeneye ID?

  • From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 09:08:25 -0800

Hi Dave -

I did see the hybrid goldeneye you found at Newport in 2009, multiple times
that winter, and took many photos.  I did also see and photograph an adult
male hybrid multiple times the next winter (2010-11).  I am not sure that
this was the same bird, however, as it differed a bit in the shape of the
white patch and in details of the amount and location of the white on the
back.  If it was the same bird, it would have undergone complete feather
replacement, and I just do not know how much those kinds of feather details
are likely to change from year to year.  If you want I can send you some
photos.

One interesting thing about this (or these) bird(s) is that the iridescence
on the head was not the green of Common, nor the blue of Barrow's, but
instead was a sort of mahogany/magenta shade.  It is my understanding that
this has been seen elsewhere in this hybrid combination.

Wayne