[obol] Gilchrist Northern Waterthrush; Sisters Woodpeckers

  • From: Diana Byrne <diana.byrne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 09:20:11 -0700

NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH were singing at the defunct crossing of the Little
Deschutes River near Gilchrist Sunday morning around 11am.
Most were well hidden in the thick brush by the water, but I was thrilled to
find one out in the open, singing away.
Photo and video:
http://portlandbirder.blogspot.com/2014/06/northern-waterthrush.html

Directions: About 14 miles south of LaPine, on Hwy 97, between MP181 and MP 182
(almost to MP 182) turn east onto a gravel road.  Go 0.3 miles and turn right.
Continue 1.8 miles farther on the gravel road, going under the highway, to
where the road ends at a former bridge on the Little Deschutes River.

I found 3 BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKERS and 1 AMERICAN THREE-TOED WOODPECKER from
6:30-8:30am Sunday along the first mile of the Park Meadow Trail, following a
tip from Stephen Shunk's recent OBOL post.
Photos and video:
http://portlandbirder.blogspot.com/2014/06/american-three-toed-and-black-backed.html

Directions:  From Sisters, go south on Elm St., which becomes Forest Road 16 /
Three Creek Road, for 14 miles until pavement ends.  Continue on gravel road
0.3 mi. to Park Meadow Trail trailhead.  There is a gravel parking area on the
left and trailhead is on the right.