[obol] GT Grackle, Baker County, Manning Creek Road

  • From: mike@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 15:52:29 +0000 (UTC)

I saw a great-tailed grackle yesterday (Sat) afternoon southeast of Baker City,
on Manning Creek Rd (Manning Basin Rd on some maps) where it crosses Williams
Creek. From the Durkee exit on I84, follow Manning Basin Rd (east side of 84)
south and east a bit over a mile to where it turns to gravel. From that point,
go 8.6 miles or a tad more to a sharp right bend. eBird link below should take
you to a link to map.

I had good views for 20 minutes. Photos with iPad camera may be definitive, in
spite of the ultra wide angle lens. First time in years that I have regretted
not having my real camera handy.

I saw the bird at the end of my counts for Oregon 2020's Baker County Blitz.
The blitz is a good birding experience and an opportunity to help contribute to
the data base for understanding bird distributions.

Mike Bogar
Mike  at avinord dot net

My eBird log with a map link is at:
GPS coordinates for grackle. 44.63704, -117.32104  datum NAD83