[obol] [Fwd: [birding] horned larks, Krider's red-tail?, lapland and chestnut-collared longspur, Linn County]

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 14:18:02 -0800

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Moore, Randy <Randy.Moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [birding] horned larks, Krider's red-tail?, lapland and
chestnut-collared longspur, Linn County
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 06:45:46 +0000

Good Thanksgiving Day of Linn County birding! And what a great day
weather-wise....

* In the not really very big field to the north of the intersection of
Seward and Country Rds in Linn County: There was a raptor bonanza- 8
red-tails, 7 Harriers, 3 rough-legs, 9 bald eagles all eating the same sheep, a
few kestrels. It was fun. One of the red-tails was intriguing. Until I saw it
fly, I was convinced that it was a straight Krider's red-tail; super pale on
the head, bright white on the underparts, very light belly band with very
skinny streaks- classic. White stippling on the back was prominent, but maybe
not as much as I'd expect from classic Krider's. Then I saw it fly after it got
chased by a raven who wanted the vole it was eating: pretty starkly red tail,
though a little lighter than a normal red-tail. I didn't see the patagial bars,
so I couldn't tell if they were reduced, but it was very pale on the underwings
as well. I'm going to try and attach the very bad pictures I got through my
scope with my phone. Interested to hear what you all think about this bird. I'm
still thinking it's at least a Krider's X.

* In the field to the southeast of this intersection (bounded by Country,
Seward, McLagan), there was a flock of 100 or so pipits and, conservatively
estimated, 320 horned larks which makes it the largest flock I've ever seen in
the valley. Also 3 more rough-legs. No snow buntings in the flock, but there
were at least 2 L. longspurs and 1 male chestnut-collared longspur with a (wee
bit of black showing on the chest). The birds were on country road across the
from the intersection of church/country and just after all the longspurs showed
themselves, the entire 400+ birds flew out into the middle of the clover field
and wouldn't come back anywhere near the road. But you could still see all 3
longspurs, although probably the only reason I could pick the CCLO at that
distance was because I knew it was there already. If you go look and the larks
are close enough, check their legs for bands! I'd love to hear about them if
anyone sees bands.

Randy
Corvallis