[obol] Re: [Fwd: Unusual Pacific-slope Flycatcher nest substrate in Alsea]

  • From: "5hats@xxxxxxxx" <5hats@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: MidValley Birds <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "joel.geier@xxxxxxxx" <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 04:49:38 +0000

Joel,

    There is a nest which was built by Barn Swallows about thirty years ago in
a corner between our house and porch.  That nest was in continuous use for
twenty five consecutive years ( a story in itself), and not always by Barn
Swallows.  Two years previous to this year, Pacific-slope Flycatchers brought
off broods there, and they are using it again this season.  I have also found
them using nests of their own making on ledges in buildings, and, on a few
occasions, in nests built into cutbanks. On another occasion I found a
Pacific-slope Flycatcher nest built into a cup-shaped metal band which had once
been part of a singletree, hanging on a barn wall.  I suppose it is easier to
detect nests in such locations than to detect them in trees,  but the number of
times I have found nests of this species in such locations suggests they may
use such sites as often as they use the branches of trees.

Darrel

Sent from Windows Mail